Ideas to perk up your glass of water
Drinking water is critical to life.
Sixty percent of the human body is made up of water. Water regulates body temperature, cushions and protects vital organs, and aids the digestive system. Water also transports nutrients and eliminates toxins and waste from the body. When the body is hydrated, brain cells are supplied with oxygen-laden blood that helps maintain a healthy blood pressure.
Water is so very important that we cannot survive longer than one week without it. If you tired of plain water, below are some ideas to make it more interesting.
- Flavored ice cubes—Freeze your favorite fruit juices in an ice tray to enjoy flavored ice cubes that make a more exciting, tasty glass of water.
- Fresh or frozen fruit—Add slices of fresh or frozen fruit such as orange, lime, mango, melon or peach to a pitcher of water is an easy way to add flavor.
- Cucumber—Add slices of cucumber to your water to make a refreshing addition.
- Flavor extracts—Add a dash of flavor extract such as vanilla or mint for a sweet taste without adding too many calories.
- Fizz—Mash raspberries or blueberries in the bottom of the glass and add sparkling or still water.
- Fruit ice cubes—Freeze clementine slices and add to a glass of water in place of ice cubes.
- Texture—Fill your glass of water with crushed ice. Savor the ice as you drink to provide interesting textures to your beverage.
- Fruits and veggies—Most foods have some component of water, however natural, whole foods have the highest water content.
Try improving your hydration with some of these fruits and vegetables:
|Red Tomato – 94%||Cucumber-96%|
Ecumenical Retirement Community keeps infused water available in our lobbies. Help yourself to a tall glass during your next visit.